Over the last several weeks, I’ve been working on incremental updates to my site. And while the primary focus so far has been on the site’s content, I’ve also been making a few updates to the site’s design. One of the main areas of focus has been my portfolio. There were two main issues:
- the work displayed in my portfolio didn’t represent the type of work I wanted to do;
- the old portfolio layout abused the post meta to achieve the layout.
Choosing an area of focus
To solve the first problem, I removed all the portfolio projects that weren’t related to web design, WordPress theme development, or WordPress in general. What I realized after removing nearly 2/3 of my work was that the remaining projects were ones that I was happiest with anyway; I had the most fun working on them, and the do a better job of showing off my skills.
Now that the portfolio is focused specifically on web design and WordPress projects, I’m hoping that it will make it easier to understand what I do, what I’m good at doing, and how I might be able to help.
Use post meta wisely
The second issue came up as I was working on WP Style Tiles. Initially, I was using CMB2, which stores data in post meta, to generate a style tile. The problem there was that the list of options to work through was several scrolls long, and felt unnecessary when I could just use shortcodes (even though they kinda suck too). After rewriting the content for my portfolio projects, I realized the same thing was basically true about my portfolio. Post meta is really only needed for the real meta: the services, designer, and live site link.
Everything about the portfolio updates feels right now. And I had a lot of fun trying out new ideas along the way (I dropped Advanced Custom Fields for this in favor of CMB2, for example).